What is the NIE and how to apply for it
The NIE is the Foreigner’s Identity Number. It is the identification number you will need to carry out any type of legal or bureaucratic procedure such as creating your own company, obtaining a residence permit or buying a car.
Requirements to apply for a NIE
- Not to be in Spain in an irregular situation
- That it is requested by the economic, professional, or social interests of the foreigner.
- The reasons for requesting the assignment of the number must be communicated
- Application form
- Complete passport
- Communication of the economic, professional, or social reasons that justify the request.
- Payment of the corresponding fee
Types of NIE
NIE for non-residents
Designed for non-EU foreign citizens, that is, non-EU citizens who do not belong to the European Union. And also for EU citizens who plan to live in Spain for less than three months per year.
NIE for residents
Designed for EU citizens who are going to live and work in Spain for more than three months.
It is very important to note that the NIE is an identification number, but it is not a residence permit. A foreign citizen may be in possession of a NIE, but not a residence permit.
If your stay in Spain will be less than 90 days, the NIE will be sufficient to carry out any type of legal or bureaucratic procedure. However, if you are going to stay for a period longer than three months, you will have to apply for a residence and work authorization according to your particular case.
What is the NIE for?
- To apply for a residence permit
- Open a bank account
- Buying a car
- To homologate the driver’s license of the country of origin
- Buy or sell a property in Spain.
- Setting up a company
- Pay taxes in the country
- Accept an employment contract
- To register with the Social Security
- To contract household services such as water, electricity, or gas.
Where to apply for the NIE?
The application must be made in person or through an accredited legal representative. The procedure is carried out at the General Directorate of the Police or through the Spanish Consular Offices abroad. If the foreign citizen is already in Spain, he/she can do the procedure at the General Commissariat for Foreigners and Borders.
NIE and TIE are not the same
The NIE is the identification number, while the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) is the physical document that contains it.
The TIE contains a photograph and specifies the type of residence authorization the holder has.
Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing on this article should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. The content on this article is offered only as information. And does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. You should always consult a suitably qualified lawyer regarding any specific legal problem or matter.
© 2023 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.