Legal Residence in Spain

Non-Lucrative Residence (also known as NLV or Non-Profit Residence Authorization) is a Legal Residence Authorization granted by the Spanish authorities to reside in Spain, as long as it can be demonstrated that the applicant and his/her dependent family members have sufficient financial means to support themselves in Spain without the need to work.

The Non-Lucrative Residence Authorization is initially issued for one year, being extendable in the first and second renewal for two years; additionally in the third renewal a Long-Term Residence Authorization can be requested in Spain.

On the other hand, it must be considered that, in order to renew and maintain your Non-Lucrative Residence Authorization, you must prove that you have not been outside Spain for a period of more than 6 months.

The Non-Lucrative Residence unlike other residence permits or residence visas does not require a qualified investment in real estate or deposits like certain investor visas.

The Non-Lucrative Residence does not authorize to work in Spain, however, it can be modified after the first year, for a Residence and Work Authorization as an employee or self-employed person, provided that certain requirements are met.

On the other hand, the time spent in Spain with a Non-Lucrative Residence Authorization counts towards the total necessary to apply for Spanish nationality by residence.

At Duguech & Dip we study each particular case. As experts in immigration and global mobility we offer legal advice and assistance in order to apply for the legal residency in Spain that best suits your case.

What do we offer at Duguech & Dip?

  • A complete analysis of the situation and determination of the most appropriate application for you, taking into consideration if the minimum requirements to apply for Non-Lucrative Residency in Spain are met.
  • Information on the requirements that you need to present to the Consulate General of Spain with jurisdiction in the applicant´s address.
  • Advice and assistance in the preparation of the Non-Lucrative Residency Application and translations when required.
  • Advice in the process of submitting the documents to the competent Spanish Consulate.
  • Constant monitoring of the status of the application.
  • Submission of any additional documents that the administration may require during the procedure.
  • Presentation of the necessary appeals in case of an unfavorable resolution.

Who grants the Non-Lucrative Visa?

Our expert´s answer


The Spanish authorities, specifically the Consulate General of Spain with jurisdiction is responsible for processing and issuing the Residence Visa and the Immigration Office of the province where you plan to reside is the one who grants the Non-Lucrative Residence Authorization.

More Info