Student visa in Spain
20 August, 2021duguech
The student visa is a permit authorizing non-EU citizens to stay in Spain for the duration of their studies.
Third-country nationals wishing to pursue a bachelor’s, master’s, postgraduate or doctoral degree, or to carry out academic research, must apply for a student visa and prove that they will be studying in certified centers.
Types of student visas
The student visa must be applied by non-European Union citizens, however, if the stay for studies is less than 90 days, it is not a requirement to apply for the permit, since the studies may be carried out with a tourist visa if Spain so requires, depending on the applicant’s country of origin.
- Short-term student visa: for foreigners who have a study stay of 91 to 180 days in Spain.
- Long-term student visa: in case the study period is longer than six months.
- Student visa for more than one year: it is possible to apply for a student visa for stays of more than one year, however, for this permit it is necessary to apply for a renewable residence card.
Student visa application process
To apply for a student visa in Spain, the following requirements must be met:
- Not being a citizen of the European Union.
- Legal stay in Spain.
- Certify sufficient income or funds to live on during the period of study.
- Have full medical insurance coverage in Spain.
- Have in your possession a letter of admission from the authorized study center before making the application.
- Certificate of criminal record.
- If required, the homologation or validation of the university degree.
- Required documentation legalized and translated into Spanish if necessary.
You can apply your student visa in Spain, for example, if you have a tourist visa, or in the country of origin at the Spanish consulate. The application must be made within a maximum period of 90 days prior to the start of the course and not less than 30 days before.
The applicant will be able to carry out the procedure personally or through a lawyer by means of an authorization in notary’s office.
The application is quite fast. After sending the application, the authorization response will be given within a maximum period of one month.
Study and work in Spain
The student visa does not allow working; however, it allows an authorized internship of a maximum of 20 hours per week, the possibility of extending the permit, or making an application for a work permit. The following options are available for internships:
- Study-related internships: In this case a signed agreement between the educational institution and the company is required. It is very important to consider that the remuneration received for these internships does not count as sufficient funds to live in Spain.
- Extracurricular internships: In this case, it is the company that must apply for a work authorization at the Immigration Office.
How to renew the student visa?
The student visa can be renewed 60 days prior to the expiration of the permit or within 90 days thereafter.
For the renewal the applicant will be asked to meet the same requirements as in the initial procedure such as sufficient financial means for the extension of stay, medical insurance, etc. The main document to apply for a student visa renewal is the certificate of satisfactory completion of studies.
The student must submit the application to the Immigration Office, which will respond within three months.
Do you know if your visa allows you to study the master’s degree you want so much? Has your visa expired, and you are out of time to renew it? At Duguech&Dip we provide you with the legal advice you need. Schedule an appointment with us. We are waiting for you.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2021 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.