Residence for foreign researchers in Spain
The Residence for researchers can be applied for by foreigners interested in carrying out research at a university or company in Spain that has an offer for the applicant.
This permit is directly linked to the institution or entity where you study or carry out your research. In other words, the application must be submitted by the university or research center that wants to hire the foreign researcher. As soon as the contract or existing relationship ends, the authorization also ends.
Where do I apply for the Residence for Researchers?
- If you are outside Spain, you can submit your application at the Spanish Consulate where you reside.
- If you are legally in Spain, you can apply directly at the Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit (UGE).
- Valid passport.
- Accreditation of the university, company or research center where the research will be carried out.
- Copy of the contract or professional relationship with the entity.
- Certificate of criminal record.
The Residence for Researchers authorizes you to live and work in Spain for a maximum of two years. If your contract or agreement is shorter than this period, the permit is granted for the duration of the research.
Extension for seeking employment as a researcher
The Entrepreneurs Law allows you to stay in Spain for a maximum of twelve months after the end of your research, provided that you are looking for a job related to your area of research or to set up a company.
It is a permit similar to the Authorization for Job Search with which all researchers have one year to find a job. This extension takes the form of a renewal and is effective from the day after the initial authorization ends.
You must apply for it at the Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit (UGE). You can do so within sixty days prior to the expiration of your permit, or within ninety days after the expiration of your residence permit in Spain.
Requirements for the extension of the extension for job search as a researcher
- You must have completely finished your research or training.
- You must have sufficient financial means to stay in Spain.
- You must have full medical insurance coverage.
If you want to process your Residency as a researcher or extend it for job search, schedule an appointment with us. In Duguech&Dip we can help you.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2022 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.