How to obtain Spanish nationality by residence
Thanks to the possibility of processing the application electronically, obtaining Spanish nationality by residence is now easier.
Requirements for acquiring Spanish nationality by residence.
- Continuous residence in Spain.
- Valid documentation.
- No criminal record, both in your country of origin and in Spain.
- Good conduct.
To be eligible for Spanish nationality by residence you must have a legal and continuous residence in Spain of ten years, although there are cases in which the term can be reduced:
- Those persons who have obtained refugee status are required to have five years of legal residence.
- For nationals of Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal, persons of Sephardic origin and Ibero-American countries, two years of legal residence are required.
- The law establishes the requirement of one year of legal residence, among others, for the following cases:
- Born in Spanish territory.
- Born outside Spain; children of father, mother, grandfather, or grandmother, who were also born outside Spain, if all of them were originally Spanish.
- Foreigners who have been married to a Spaniard for one year and are not separated at the time of making the application.
- The widow or widower of a Spaniard who is not separated at the time of the death of the spouse.
At the time of making the application it is mandatory to present the required documentation and accredit the conditions demanded by the requirements.
In addition, all documents must be translated and legalized if necessary.
How to apply for Spanish nationality by residence?
There are several ways to submit the application for Spanish nationality by residence. Thanks to the changes in the regulations and, with the intention of solving the delays dragged by the administration, a telematic procedure has been recently implemented that allows to speed up the procedures.
It is now possible to apply for Spanish nationality by residence telematically, through the Electronic Headquarters of the Ministry of Justice, if you have a digital certificate.
In addition, the application can be submitted through the authorized platforms and with an authorization agreement for the electronic submission of documents. It can also be done through the Public Registry, or through a legal representative.
The resolution of the Ministry of Justice will be notified to the applicant or his legal representative in the manner indicated in the application.
The maximum term of resolution is one year. The Ministry of Justice will notify the applicant or his legal representative in the manner indicated in the application. In case of not obtaining a response within the established time, the applicant may file a contentious-administrative appeal if he/she has not received a response within this time.
Do you wish to apply for Spanish nationality by residence? In Duguech&Dip we can help you. We have more than ten years of experience in visa procedures, residence and work permits and Spanish nationality. Call us.
Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing on this article should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. The content on this article is offered only as information. And does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. You should always consult a suitably qualified lawyer regarding any specific legal problem or matter.
© 2020 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.