How to obtain a residence permit as a family member of an EU citizenduguech
The residence permit as a family member of a European Union citizen is processed in case the applicant accompanies or joins the European citizen for more than three months.
In order to apply for the EU family card, the citizen residing in Spain must meet the following requirements:
- Have a contract of employment or self-employment.
- In case of not working, they can be enrolled or studying in a public or private center accredited by the administration.
- In both cases, the applicant must demonstrate economic solvency for the family unit during the period of residence of the applicant.
- Have private medical insurance contracted in Spain or in another country, but with coverage equivalent to that of the National Health System.
Who can apply for a residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen?
- The children of EU citizens, of the spouse or registered partner under twenty-one years of age. Also, dependent children, even if they exceed the age limit.
- If the marriage is still in effect and no divorce or marriage annulment has been declared.
- Registered partner. The bond must be registered as a partner of the European citizen in the Spanish public registry or in an EU country.
- Unmarried partner not registered as a registered partner. With which it maintains a stable relationship or have common offspring. In this case a time of marital cohabitation of at least one continuous year must be accredited.
- Any member of the family who oversees or lives with the EU citizen in the country of origin. In this case, a continuous cohabitation of two years must be demonstrated.
- Any family member whose health condition or disability condition obliges the EU citizen to take care of that person.
Documentation to obtain the residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen
- Application form duly completed and signed by the family member of the European citizen.
- Copy of the complete valid passport of the applicant’s family member.
- Original and copy of the DNI of the EU citizen.
- Certified copy of the documentation proving the family relationship with the EU citizen. Spouse, registered partner, children, or dependents.
- Documentation that accredits the cohabitation in the country of origin, or the reasons of health or disability of the dependent relative of the EU citizen.
Procedure to obtain the residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen
The administration processes the application within a period of three months from the date on which the entry into Spanish territory as a family member of the EU citizen is accredited.
The residence card is issued within three months of the application.
The EU family card is valid for five years from the date of issue.
If you need to speed up your application process for a residence permit as a family member of an EU citizen, please contact Duguech&Dip. Let’s make an appointment.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2021 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.