How to apply for the authorization of stay for studies in Spain
28 April, 2022duguech
You can apply for the authorization of stay for studies at the consular office of your country of residence, but you can also apply if you are already in Spain. I will explain how:
To apply for a stay for studies in Spain you must have a valid visa. That is to say, if you are in Spain with a valid tourist visa, you can submit the application for a stay for studies in person, through the telematic tools provided by the Spanish Government, or through a legal representative at the Immigration Office of the province where you are going to do your studies.
You must apply at least one month prior to the expiration of your visa.
Once you have submitted the application for a stay for studies, the Government Delegation has one month to issue a resolution and notify you if it has been accepted. Keep in mind that if this period elapses and you do not receive a response, in this case the administrative silence is interpreted as a denied application.
You must also take into account the deadlines that exist in each Autonomous Community, because they may vary.
- Full valid passport that is not about to expire.
- Certificate of admission to a center recognized by the Ministry of Education.
- Documentation that accredits sufficient economic means for the stay for studies and the return to the country of origin.
- Medical insurance
Keep in mind that you must present original and photocopy of all documents. In addition, documents submitted in other languages must be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the Autonomous Community where you will be studying. Likewise, you should find out about the legalization of documents, i.e., the Hague Apostille that verifies the authenticity of the documentation if it is required.
The authorization to stay for studies in Spain is granted for the duration of the program you are going to study, with a maximum limit of one year. If the course has a duration of more than six months, you must apply for the Foreigner’s Identity Card and an extension of stay for studies.
The application for a stay for studies in Spain can also be made for family members. The partner, children under 18 years of age or dependents can obtain the authorization of legal stay in Spain together with the student’s for the duration of the academic program.
- What to do if your application to stay for study purposes has been denied?
- What to do if the tourist visa is about to expire and you want to apply for a student visa?
- What happens if you want to change your study program when you have already obtained the permit?
At Duguech&Dip we provide you with the legal advice and support you need in these procedures. Schedule an appointment with us and let’s talk about your case.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2022 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.