Exceptions to entry to the European Union
20 May, 2020duguech
The state of alarm caused by the Covid-19 has generated a series of restrictions regarding the movement of people around the world. However, the measures adopted to maintain health control have exceptions that apply in the European Union.
As explained in the Official State Gazette (BOE), citizens of third countries may not enter the EU as long as emergency measures are maintained “for reasons of public order or public health”. Except in the following categories:
- Habitual residents in the UE, in the associated Schengen States or Andorra, who go directly to their place of residence.
- Holders of a long-term visa issued by a Member State or Schengen Associated State who apply to it.
- Cross-border workers.
- Healthcare or elderly care professionals who go to or return from exercising their work activity.
- Personnel dedicated to the transport of goods in the exercise of their work activity, such as the crew of ships, in order to ensure the provision of maritime transport services and fishing activity; and the flight personnel necessary to carry out commercial air transport activities. It will be an indispensable condition that they ensure the immediate continuation of the trip.
- Diplomatic, consular, international organizations, military personnel and members of humanitarian organizations, in the exercise of their functions.
- People traveling for imperative family reasons duly accredited.
- People who document documentary reasons of force majeure or situation of need, or whose entry is allowed for humanitarian reasons.
This information does not constitute legal advice under any circumstances, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in the field of Global Immigration and Mobility, contact us.
* It must be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2020 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.