Europe to require a visa for US citizens
If you are a US citizen and plan to travel to Europe, as of 1 January 2021, you will have to apply for the ETIAS visa, which will apply in all 26 countries in the Schengen Area.
The procedure is simple; you will be able to apply online without visiting any consulate and you will be permitted to enter Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican City, the smallest states of the continent.
Requirements for the ETIAS visa
- A valid passport with a minimum validity of three months from the date of travel
- A debit or credit card
- A completed application form with your personal details (confirmation email, address and telephone number)
Keep in mind
- The visa will be valid for three years and will cost approximately 8 dollars.
- The European authorities may deny a visa if your passport is more than ten years old, so it is best to investigate if you need to renew, allowing enough time to carry out the process.
- The visa will not be necessary to enter the United Kingdom, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland or Romania, as these are not signatories of the Schengen Area and have their own policies in respect to entry for foreign citizens.
As indicated by European consulates in the US, Americans will be able to travel to the continent with their passports for two years.
Legal Notice: Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing on this article should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. The content on this article is offered only as information and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. You should always consult a suitably qualified lawyer regarding any specific legal problem or matter.
© 2019 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved