ETIAS: new visa to enter the European Union
2 June, 2022duguech
As of May 2023, non-EU citizens wishing to visit one or more countries in the Schengen area will have to obtain the ETIAS travel authorization as a mandatory requirement to enter Europe.
The ETIAS authorization is a visa that will allow travelers from third countries to travel through any of the Schengen member countries.
Requirements to apply for the ETIAS travel authorization:
- Passport valid for three to six months after application.
- E-mail account.
- Credit or debit card.
- The application for ETIAS authorization is made online and at least three days before the trip.
- The applicant must apply for the ETIAS application at the first EU destination to be visited. If the authorization is granted, the applicant will have up to 90 days to visit the remaining countries.
- The applicant must answer questions on the form relating to his or her criminal record, public health risks and whether he or she has been refused entry to the EU in the past. The data provided is automatically compared with different security databases.
- Once the application is completed, a fee is charged.
- The resolution of the form will be automatic.
Remember that if you already have a Schengen visa, you do not need to apply for ETIAS. However, it is advisable to inquire before traveling about this requirement, since the ETIAS travel authorization is a European permit that, in principle, gives access to Schengen countries, but not to all European countries. Moreover, the final decision is in the hands of the border authorities.
If you have any doubts about the new travel authorization to enter the European Union, ETIAS, or about other visa procedures, call us. At Duguech&Dip we are here to help you.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2022 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.