Authorisation to return to Spain
27 October, 2021duguech
The Return Authorisation is a document that allows you to leave and re-enter Spain if your residence or foreigner’s identity card is about to expire or is in the process of renewal.
Cases in which you can apply for an Authorisation to return to Spain
- If you are a non-EU foreigner and your residence permit in Spain is in the process of being renewed, you can apply for a Return Authorisation to leave the country and return within a maximum period of 90 days.
- It can also be requested by the holder of a valid foreigner’s identity card, in the event of loss or theft, by presenting the application for a duplicate identity card.
- The Return Authorisation is also valid if you are applying for residence or study permit for the first time. Even if you have not put your fingerprints on the document, the process is ongoing and you can apply for it to leave Spain and return to the country at a later date, but in this case you must provide convincing proof of the reason for the trip.
What are the limitations of the Return Authorisation?
The Return Authorisation only allows you to enter and leave Spain. Therefore, you can only fly directly, without any stopover in any country of the Schengen area.
If the applicant is a jobseeker, is collecting unemployment benefits, and wants to be absent for more than 15 days a year, he/she must request a specific authorisation to travel outside Spain. Otherwise, the assistance may be interrupted.
How to apply for the Return Authorisation
The application is made in person at the Oficina de Extranjería (Immigration Office) or at the Police Station closest to where you live.
Along with your valid passport and the official form (EX-13) completed and signed, you must present the following documents, depending on the case:
- Favourable resolution of the initial application for authorisation of residence or authorisation of stay for studies.
- Initial authorisation for residence, stay or foreigner’s identity card in the process of being issued.
- Application for renewal of residence, extension of stay for studies, or foreigner’s identity card.
- Documentation accrediting that the trip responds to a situation of need and special circumstances.
Remember that all documentation must be submitted in original and copy. Finally, the corresponding fee must be paid before the authorisation is issued.
The authorisation must be requested at the Police Station, although in the event of being unable to appear in person, a legal representative may do so, as in the case of minors or incapacitated persons.
The Return Authorisation may be used for all departures and subsequent returns during the validity of your residence permit.
What happens if the Authorisation to Return expires before you return to Spain?
It is not possible for you to enter Spain with an expired Return Authorisation.
In special circumstances such as a state of alarm it is automatically extended, however, these are exceptional measures that do not currently apply. To avoid legal problems with your entry into Spain, you should consult all travel regulations in special cases such as pandemics.
If you need help to apply for a Return Authorisation, make an appointment with us. At Dugech&Dip we are here to help you.
This information does not constitute under any circumstances legal advice, serving only for informational purposes. In case you need professional services in Global Immigration and Mobility, please contact us.
* It should be taken into account that the regulations of any of the countries analyzed, as well as the established procedures, may change at any time and without prior notice.
© 2021 Duguech & Dip, S.L.P. – All rights reserved.